It’s more good news for the Range Rover Velar which has just been awarded a Five-Star Euro NCAP Rating having scored 93 per cent for adult occupant protection, 85 per cent for child occupant protection and 74 per cent for pedestrian protection. Well done Range Rover!
The fourth member of the Range Rover family comes with a comprehensive collection of safety systems which includes Autonomous Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection. This advanced technology can identify a collision risk on the road ahead and automatically apply the brakes, potentially saving other cars and pedestrians from an accident. The system was awarded a maximum six marks in the Pedestrian detection tests by Euro NCAP’s testers.
Bringing together strong crash protection with advanced active safety systems, the Velar helps drivers to avoid collisions while helping reduce the effects of an accident should the worst happen.
Nick Rogers, Executive Director, Product Engineering, Jaguar Land Rover commented, “The light, stiff and exceptionally strong aluminium intensive body provides the foundation for a five-star Euro NCAP score. Allied to pioneering suspension technology and a comprehensive range of driver assistance systems, the new Range Rover Velar is not just one of the most beautiful SUVs in the world – it’s also one of the safest.”
“Tests of the autonomous emergency braking system at highway speeds demonstrated good performance, with collisions avoided or mitigated in all tests. In both the side barrier test and the more severe side pole impact, protection of all critical body areas was good and the Range Rover Velar scored maximum points.” Euro NCAP.
The Range Rover Velar secured an overall Euro NCAP rating of 83 per cent and comes with advanced driver assistance systems including:
– Autonomous Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection uses a forward-facing stereo camera to determine if a collision is imminent – full braking is triggered automatically to avoid collisions altogether, or to mitigate the effects
– Reverse Traffic Detection uses radar to monitor vehicles approaching from either side when reversing. An orange warning illuminates in the door mirrors to alert the driver to any potential danger
– Matrix-Laser LED headlights extend the range of full beam to 550 metres. The Adaptive Front Lighting system matches the light beam to the steering wheel angle, while the matrix technology selectively dims individual LEDs to maintain optimum light distribution without dazzling oncoming traffic
– Lane Keep Assist detects unintentional lane drift and applies corrective counter-steering to maintain lane position
– Driver Condition Monitor senses driver fatigue by monitoring steering, brake and accelerator inputs to provide alerts when tiredness is detected
– Intelligent Speed Limiter adjusts the vehicle speed when entering new speed limit zones
– Traffic Sign Recognition informs the driver of the current speed limit using the driver’s message centre instrumentation screen